Your Very Own Beef Jerky Dehydrator
Beef jerky and other jerky treats are delicious snacks that are enjoyed by millions. There are many different ways to make jerky, but using a beef jerky dehydrator is superior to other methods. The air is constantly circulated within these units, and the temperature is the perfect temperature for drying the meat. You do not have to worry about accidentally cooking the beef jerky and ruining it when you use a dehydrator to handle the drying process for you.
Here are some simple, delicious recipes to try with your beef jerky dehydrator.
Smoky Honey Glazed Beef Jerky
- 2 1/2 pounds of beef
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 cup of soy sauce
- 3/4 cup of honey
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke
- 5 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Slice the meat that you are going to be using. If you first freeze the meat for 30-45 minutes it will help when you are trying to cut it into thin slices.
- Now you can combine all of the remaining ingredients in a large plastic bag or pan, add the meat, cover and marinate for at least 12 - 24 hours.
- If you are using the oven you should make sure that it is on the lowest setting and cover the rack with aluminum foil. Place the meat in single layers and leave the door of the oven open so that there is ventilation and air movement present. This process can take 3-9 hours depending on the thickness of the meat slices and how chewy or crisp you like your beef jerky to be.
- If you are using a dehydrator to prepare the beef jerky you will place single layers of meat strips on the racks and switch the temperature to the lowest setting. Now just let the dehydrator turn the meat into jerky over the next 5-12 hours. You should make occasional checks on the jerky during this process.
The advantages to using a beef jerky dehydrator over an oven are energy efficiency and more gentle drying.
Simply Sweet Beef Jerky Recipe
- 1 pound of beef
- 3/4 cup of apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper and ½ teaspoon of red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons of corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of allspice
- Place the meat in the freezer and let it freeze for 30-45 minutes so that it is easier to cut. Then remove it and cut it into strips that are about a quarter inch thick.
- You can add the other ingredients to a plastic bag or bowl and then add the strips of meat. Let the meat rest in the marinade mixture for a minimum of 6 hours. The flavors will be more intense if you let the marinating take place for 12-24 hours.
- Remove the strips of meat from the marinade and place them on the racks of the dehydrator. Do not let any of the strips touch each other.
- Now set the temperature on the lowest setting and let the beef jerky dehydrator do the work. It will take 5-12 hours for the meat to be transformed into jerky.
Mighty Moroccan Flavored Jerky
- 3 pounds beef cut into strips that are 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of garlic juice
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Mix the Worcestershire sauce, salt and garlic juice together and rub some of this on all sides of your meat strips.
- Combine the other ingredients together in a plastic bag. Add several strips of meat to the bag and shake to coat. Remove the coated meat strips and repeat until all of the meat has a coating of the dry, spiced rub.
- Arrange all of the pieces of meat in a single layer in a pan in the refrigerator cover and let them rest for 4-6 hours before using.
- Set the dehydrator temperature on the lowest setting and then put your meat on the racks in a single layer. Do not let any of the meat strips touch each other.
- Now you will let them dry in the dehydrator for 5-12 hours. You can check on them every few hours if you wish and you can remover them when they have reached the desired level of chewiness.
More than just a beef jerky dehydrator
With a food dehydrator, you can prepare tasty beef jerky any time you like and it is much cheaper than buying these snacks at the store. The beef jerky that you make at home will always be fresh, and you can create the flavors that you like best by using these and other recipes.
You don't have to limit yourself to using your dehydrator to make only beef jerky. Turkey, fish, venison, buffalo, and many other meats can also become wonderful jerky treats.